Mark has a broad based commercial contentious and non-contentious practice across a wide range of industry sectors.
He has conducted litigation cases before all divisions of the High Court, the Court of Appeal, and the Privy Council, represented clients involved in arbitrations under the rules of the ICC, LCIA, LMAA, and UNCITRAL, and conducted or overseen proceedings in a number of foreign jurisdictions including Brazil, Canada, China, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Northern Ireland, Poland, Rumania, Russia, Scotland, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, and the USA.
He has acted for clients in share and asset sale and purchase transactions ranging in value from £100K to US$500 million, and regularly advises on diverse contractual issues.
He is also a specialist shipping lawyer, and the author of the first and second editions of Bareboat Charters published by Lloyds of London Press in 2000 and 2005, and Refund Guarantees published as part of Lloyds’ Shipping Law Library in April 2015. Both Bareboat Charters and Refund Guarantees are the first published English law text books dedicated to these subjects.
Mark has been regularly recognised as a leading expert in Legal Business’ Legal Experts publications and acknowledged as one of the World’s leading litigation lawyers in Euromoney’s guide to “The World’s Leading Litigation Lawyers”.
He has lectured frequently at universities in Korea, Malta and Spain. He is also a CEDR accredited mediator.
Mark is a fluent German speaker.
- Turner Shipping Inc v (1) Cotter Shipping Inc, (2) Bank Degroof SA, (3) Madame Gabriella Ercole (4) Mr Franco Ercole  EWHC 1493 (Comm)
- Cadogan Maritime Inc v Turner Shipping Inc  EWHC 138 (Comm)
- AssetCo Plc v Grant Thornton UK LLP (2013) QBD (Comm) 25/01/2013
- FKI Engineering Ltd and another v Stribog Ltd  EWHC 1160 (Comm)
- Datasat Communications Limited and others v Swindon Town Football Club Limited and another 2009 EWHC 859 (COMM)
- Deutsche Bank AG and others v Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communications Inc and another  EWCA Civ 1091,  All ER (D) 104 (Oct)
- Deutsche Bank AG v Asia Pacific Broadband Wireless Communications Inc  EWHC 918 (Comm)
- FKI Engineering Ltd v De Wind Holdings Ltd (Lawtel: 28 February 2008)
- FKI Engineering Ltd v De Wind Holdings Ltd  EWHC 72 (Comm);  I.L.Pr. 17
- St Ivel Limited and another v Wincanton Group Limited  EWCA Civ 1286,  All ER (D) 264 (Nov)
- St Ivel Ltd v Wincanton Group Ltd  EWHC 2906 (Comm)
- Aboualsaud v Aboukhater  EWHC 2122 (QB)
- Hempel A/S v B Bradford  EWHC 2528
- Haugland Tankers AS v RMK Marine (2005) EWHC 321
- BMBF (No. 12) Ltd v Harland & Wolff Shipbuilding and Heavy Industries Ltd LTL 17/11/2000
- Pegler Limited –v- Wang (UK) Limited (2000) IT+CLR 617
- The Trustee of the Property of Jan Yngve Pehrsson (A Bankrupt) v Madeleine Von Greyerz LTL18/6/99
- Red Sea Tankers Ltd and Others -v- Papachristidis and Others  2 Lloyds Rep 547
- Brostoff & Others v Clark Kenneth Leventhal (a firm) LTL 13/3/96
- Egon Oldendorff -v- Libera Corporation  2 Lloyds Rep 64 (first instance);  1 Lloyds Rep 380 (Court of Appeal)
- Macmillan Inc -v- Bishopsgate Investment Trust Company Plc and Others  3 All ER 747 (first instance);  1 All ER 585 (Court of Appeal); TLR 7/12/98 : (1999) CLC 417 (Court of Appeal)
- Hancock Shipping Company Limited -v- Kawasaki Heavy Industries  2 Lloyds Rep 550 (first instance);  1 WLR 1025 (Court of Appeal)
- Gyllenhammar & Partners International Limited and Others -v- Sour Brodogradevna Industrija  2 Lloyds Rep 403 (first instance)
Author “Refund Guarantees”, Informa Routledge, 2015
Author “Bareboat Charters”, 1st and 2nd Editions, Lloyds of London Press Limited, 2000/2005
- Tel: +44 203 727 5555
- Fax: +44 203 727 5556
1 Park Road
Davis & Co is the trading name of Davislaw Limited registered in England and Wales under No.08205361 and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority under No.572176.